Monday 25 June 2007

Bringing up our baby right

An hour and a half from Cologne there's a Grand Prix race track called the Nürburgring. When it's not being used for races, anyone can pay to do laps around the track. As a group of friends from England ('Hello guys, you know who you are!') planned a trip to the track for the weekend, we said we'd join them, in order to catch up.

looking out on the trackWe only have a Clio and the other guys had more powerful cars, including a Subaru and a Lotus. So Simon took a few lifts around the track with the boys. I, on the other hand, took to driving a perambulator around the local cafés* with the girls...

We all stayed in a hotel which looks out on to the start of the track. Here you can see April and me on the balcony of our room. April is doing her, 'Wait 'til I get my hands on that paparazzo!' pose.

On the Sunday morning we watched a motorbike race from our balcony. You can see the start of the warm up lap here:

See the man waving the flags. Running towards powerfully fast vehicles, flapping his arms like a bird? What an unusual way to make a living.

PS *And no, I still haven't got bored of my new hobby of visiting cafés.
PPS Here is an account from one of the couples who went on the trip too.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I think I know which party I would have been part of had I gone. Glad you all had a great time!