Tuesday 17 April 2007

Bang! And the dirt is gone!

In the wee hours of the morning I was laying awake. I was troubled by a question. Nothing trivial like: ‘How am I going to cope with the pain of labour?’ or ‘What is it like being a mother?’ Oh no. The big question which was keeping me awake was: ‘Can I buy Cillit Bang in Germany?’

In common with most heavily pregnant women my thoughts have turned to domestic chores. Grand style. Today I have already cleaned the bathroom, done the laundry and gone to the grocery store (TWICE) to stock up on cleaning products and tinned produce. I even made some cookie dough: half to bake now and half to freeze for an EMERGENCY! It’s not even midday. I am currently contemplating whether the stair carpet needs a clean this afternoon…

Last week my sister went through the same thing. She did some last minute planting of her allotment. She actually did clean her stairs. One day she washed the floor 5 times. So it appears that my current behaviour is in the realms of ‘normal’. Which is good, because I am not often perceived as normal.

Postscript:
There's a happy ending to this entry. You’ll be pleased to hear that when in the grocery store, the first time, I spied a very large bottle of Cillit Bang. Hurrah for this great product and hurrah for it being in Germany. I’m so pleased that I'm saying now that I'm available for the advert if they ever get rid of Barry Scott and his coin…

3 comments:

Ali & Dave said...

I am experiencing this too with a sudden need to have all our duvets dry cleaned. Strangely cleaning floors is not a compulsion i'm having - despite all the midwives telling me it's a great job for getting the baby into the right position.. However, so is perching on a chair while enjoying cream tea..

Rhodri said...

Vicky, What kind of emergency are you imagining where the solution will be to defrost some cookie dough and get baking?

Whatever the answer let me know if any emergency cookies get baked in Barbarosaplatz between a Monday and a Friday.

Rhodri said...

Vicky, What kind of emergency are you imagining where the solution will be to defrost some cookie dough and get baking?

Whatever the answer let me know if any emergency cookies get baked in Barbarosaplatz between a Monday and a Friday.